So in descending order (as all lists should be) here are the top ten films of 2016.
10) Don't Breathe (Fede Alvarez)
09) Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford)
08) Divines (Houda Benyamina)
07) Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)
06) 13th (Ava DuVernay)
04) Swiss Army Man (Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert)
03) Hacksaw Ridge (Mel Gibson)
02) Moonlight (Barry Jenkins)
01) Elle (Paul Verhoeven)
And, of course, there are always a few honorable mentions.
The Edge of Seventeen (Kelly Fremon Craig)
Deadpool (Tim Miller)
Lion (Garth Davis)
Tarzan (David Yates)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (David Yates)
Hidden Figures (Theodore Melfi)
And now all my white friends can yell at me for what I'm about to say: La La Land doesn't even come near the list, the honorable mentions, or anywhere close to a movie I will ever watch again. It was intolerable. If you want to see a GREAT musical, go and see "