Tuesday, August 1, 2017

30 Best Films Passed Over by Marty, The Doc & Jennifer in Back to the Future: Volume 2

Here we are again, further up the list. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the 20th through the 11th greatest films Doc, Marty and Jennifer missed when they skipped from 1985 to 2015.


(I know that George McFly has nothing to do with all this, but he's the best character, so enjoy the pic.)

And again, a warning to any squares and/or prudes out there. Some of the quotes from these films are in bad taste, to say the least. Read at your own risk.

20) In the Mouth of Madness by John Carpenter - 1994

We're watching every writer's fantasy here. The writer creates a tangible world with real people. The writer controls what the characters do and say. He decides what tragedy or blessings that befall them. So yes, every writer is God.

"A reality is just what we tell each other it is."

"Did I ever tell you my favorite color is blue?"
"God's not supposed to be a hack horror writer!"

"I have to! He wrote me this way!"

"Every species can smell its own extinction. The last ones left won't have a pretty time with it."

"When does fiction become religion?"

"You're my mommy! Know what day it is? It's Mommy's Day!"

19) Beauty and the Beast by Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise - 1991
Yes, it turns out cynic is really a sappy at heart. Shame on this bastard."

"You'll join me for dinner. That's not a request!"

"Enchanted? Ha-ha-ha-ha! Who said anything about the castle being enchanted? Ha- ha-ha!"

"We don't like what we don't understand, in fact, it scares us, and this monster is mysterious at least."

"So you want me to throw her father into the asylum unless she agrees to marry you? Oh, that is despicable! I love it"

Beast - "I want to do something for. But what?"
Cogsworth - "Well, there's the usual things. Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep"

"I use antlers in all of my decorating!"

"I'm especially good at expectorating!" 
18) Her by Spike Jonze - 2013
Loneliness. And what the hell is companionship, anyway? Are we as a species past the point where we can love each other without all of our beloved masks and mirrors? Probably. Also, not for nothing, but Scarlett Johansson proves that voice-over roles should be taken seriously. No, we never actually saw her, but she did deserve some adulation around award season.

"Well, you seem like a person, but you're just a voice in a computer."

"Whatever someone you become, and wherever you are in the world, I'm sending you love. You're my friend to the end."

"The heart is not like a box that gets filled up. It expands in size the more you love. I'm different from you. This doesn't make me love you any less. It actually makes me love you more."

Theodore - "Are you talking with someone else right now? People, OS, whatever..."
Samantha - "Yeah."
Theodore - "How many others?"
Samantha - "8,316."
Theodore - "Are you in love with anybody else?"
Samantha - "Why do you ask that?"
Theodore - "I do not know. Are you ?"
Samantha - "I've been thinking about how to talk to you about this."
Theodore - "How many others?"
Samantha - "641."

17) Eyes Wide Shut by Stanley Kubrick - 1999
Some have insisted that this film is misogynistic. It is not. It is about misogyny. 
Bill (Tom Cruise) is only capable at looking at things from his selfish perspective. He feels that he has license to deviate sexually because his wife, Alice, Cruise's paramour (Nicole Kidman) confessions to having a sexual fantasy once. 
His idea of manhood is defined by a proprietary perspective. 
And in the end, Alice settles back into her role of subjugation.

"Don't you think one of the charms of marriage is that it makes deception a necessity for both parties? May I ask why a beautiful woman who could have any man in this room wants to be married?"

"When she is having her little titties squeezed, do you think she ever has any fantasies about handsome Dr. Bill's dickie might be like?"

"Tell me something. Those two girls at the party last night. Did you, by any chance, happen to fuck them?"

"Only as sure as I am that the reality of one night, let alone that of a whole lifetime, can ever be the whole truth."

"Remove your clothes! Or would you like us to do it for you?"

"Do you mind telling me what kind of fucking charade ends up with somebody turning up dead?"

"No dream is ever just a dream."

"Millions of years of evolution, right? Right? Men have to stick it in every place they can, but for women, women it is just about security and commitment and whatever the fuck else?"

"Oh, if you men only knew!"

Alice - "I do love you and you know there is something very important we need to do as soon as possible."
Bill - "What's that?"
Alice - "Fuck."

16) Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch - 1995
I don't like film critics who use words words like 'meditation,' and ethereal.  Thank God I'm just a dick with a blog and not a proper film critic. So I'm free to say this film is an ethereal meditation on death.

 "Stupid fucking white man!"

"You were a poet and a painter, William Blake. But now, you're a killer of white men."

"It is strange that you do not remember any of your poetry, William Blake."

"Look, they're shooting buffalo, government says. It killed a million of them last year alone."


"I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickinson out in the town of Machine. You're just as likely to find your own grave."

"Of course, you can't put much stock in a man who spends the most part of a conversation talking to a bear. Talking to a goddamn bear."

"The vision of Christ that thou dost see is my vision's greatest enemy."

"By God, I'm hit! Lord have mercy. Burns like hell-fire! You son of a bitch. I'm gonna have to kill somebody now!"

15) Heaven by Tom Tykwer - 2002
This is a film about sin, guilt and punishment. It has nothing whatsoever to do with forgiveness, nor does it explore the concept of redemption.
And it's about how a young romance can evolve in a spiritual way that can give one a single purpose

"I don't want to escape punishment. I've killed four innocent people and I want to answer for that. But before I do, I want to kill him."

Secretary - "May I be of assistance?"
Filippa - "No, it's an erotic matter."

"In a real helicopter, you can't just keep flying higher."

"My father always said, at the right moment, you have to do what nobody expects."

"Throw me out with the trash. Her parents had to read that."

"It's not a good idea trying to escape custody. You put your life at stake. I doubt she'd even make it past that back exit alive."

"What you don't know is I've ceased to believe."

"I'll never forget that face. It'll haunt me for the rest of my life. Didn't look like a face anymore. Like the stuff I buy at the butcher's for the dog. Only with a suit attached."


14) Secretary by Steven Shainberg - 2002
A gorgeous film legitimizing taboos. Here, an S&M game transforms beautifully into one of the sweetest romances I've ever seen.

Mr. Grey - "I like you, Lee, but I don't think I'm going to offer you the job."
Lee - "Why?"
Mr. Grey - "It's your behavior."
Lee - "What about my behavior?"
Mr. Grey - "It's very bad."

Mr. Grey - "We can't do this 24 hours a day 7 days a week."
Lee - "Why not?"

"Is it that sometimes the pain inside has to come to the surface and when you see evidence of the pain inside, you finally know you're really here? Then, when you watch the wound heal, it's comforting."

"I'm not so scared of suffering now. I feel more than I've ever felt and I've found someone to feel with, to play with, to love, in a way that feels right for me. I hope he knows that I can see that he suffers, too. And that I want to love him."

"Okay, just a scoop of creamed potatoes, one slice of butter, four peas and...as much ice cream as you'd like to eat, doll."

13) The Devil’s Rejects by Rob Zombie - 2005
Damn, how many hats can one movie wear? The film is about the nature of revenge and sadism. Where is that line between good and evil and how can one even tell which side they are one? "The Devil's Rejects" is not only a social commentary, though. It's also a dark comedy, a horror film and a story of relentless pursuit.

"I am the Devil and I am here to do the Devil's work."

"There is no fucking ice cream in your fucking future!"

"Tutti fucking Frutty!"

"Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we fucking funny? You best come up with an answer, 'cause I'm gonna come back here and check on you and your mama and if you ain't got a reason why you hate clowns, I'm gonna kill your whole fucking family." 

"Stupid cunt. There ain't no bullets in this thing. It's all fucking mind power."

"Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fucking Mark Twain shit. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."

"I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See, I have some top-secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you may have for this here vehicle."

"You know, I got to thank you all for helping me understand what my heritage is. You see, the Wydells, they always been vigilante justice. Now my grand-daddy, he rode with the likes of Tom Horn, killing scum like you for a living. We've always been devil slayers."

"Let's give a big round of applause, folks, for the married man!"

"What's that I smell? I smell RABBIT!"

"I took my knife and I stuck it there real good. And I kinda twisted it a little bit. Kind of like fucking her with it, you know? Let me tell you, that old whore came before I fucking took her miserable life."


12) True Romance by Tony Scott - 1993

I remember the first time I saw this film. I was 19 and at the movies by myself. Over the course of the film, I feel in love. In love with Alabama and in love with this perfectly beautiful marriage. Great action film. Greater Romance. If you haven't experienced this film I don't even know why you're reading this blog.


"I always said, if I had to fuck a guy...I mean had to, if my life depended on it...I'd fuck Elvis."

"That was one of the best times I ever had. It was. But you know, I knew something must be rotten in Denmark. There was no way you could like me that much. Man, I can't tell you relieved I was when you took off your dress and you, you didn't have a dick."

"I'm not a whore. I'm a call-girl. There's a difference, you know!"

"I'm gonna go jump in the tub and get all slippery and soapy and then hop in that waterbed and watch X-rated movies 'till you get your ass back in my loving arms."

"Okey dokey, doggie daddy."

"On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hanging out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clocking me. Now I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of titties."

"You must have thought it was white boy day! It ain't white boy day, is it?"

"I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong room. My name is Sadie. We don't have any coke, but there's a Pepsi machine down the hall."

"I can't believe you put it under the fucking bed. And I can't believe I didn't look under the fucking bed."

"I am the anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

"I know you know where they are, so tell me before I do some damage you won't walk away from"

"You know what we got here? Motherfucking  Charlie Bronson!"

"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

"You're so cool."


11) Girl with Dragon Tattoo Trilogy by Niels Arden Oplev and Daniel Alfredson - 2009
Right. There are three reactions from people who have been exposed to this trilogy: Those who have followed the books and the films as they came out. The true Dragon Tattoo fans. Then there are those who checked them out and didn't really click with the trilogy because they don't like having to read subtitles. And those who held out and just watched David Fincher's US remake. Fincher's remake is a pale excuse for a film when you hold it up to the original films. So don't judge these films based on what you may or may not have seen up to this point. Also, I've heard some talk about the Trilogy being overrated. Well, don't listen to those people. Balls to those guys.
The films throw us into a personal relationship with our heroine. It's not a conventional connection. We love her. We empathize with her to the point of devotion. We fallow her victories and when she's in pain, we can actually feel it.

"His father trained him to murder at age sixteen. Anyone would be sick in the head with that kind of upbringing."

"Shut up about the victimization! He almost killed you. He raped and murdered and he enjoyed it. He had the same chances as us to choose what he wanted to be. He was no victim. He was a sadistic motherfucker who hated women!

"I've lost count. I had a girl in that cage when we were dining upstairs. Those kind of women disappear all the time. No one misses them."

Next, the top ten films Marty, Doc and Jennifer missed. (Holy God, isn't the suspense killing you??)


No comments:

Post a Comment